Sunday, May 17, 2009

17 May 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

I got started at around 6am. It was supposed to be a hot day. Just as I was about to head out, I realized that I forgot to put on sunscreen, so I pulled off my shoes, went back inside, and put on sunscreen. It was clear and cool in the morning, with the sun just above the eastern horizon, which was the direction I was headed, so the sun was in my eyes.

When I was on Larkin Valley, I started seeing riders with numbers already on the 100km course, including a unicycle. There were a number of unicycles, tandems, and recumbents on the ride. Eventually, I got to Pajaro Valley High, checked in, and got a route sheet and started off. On Freedom Blvd, which had annoying bumpy cracks in the road spaced a few feet apart, I caught up to a guy who was going at a reasonable pace, so I sat on his wheel. However, he joined up with some slower companions at the turn onto Corralitos Rd, so I would ride solo for a long while after that. I headed up Eureka Canyon, keeping my level of effort down to pace myself for the 145-150 mile ride.

The first rest stop was at the Burrell Fire Station, and I had a little food and filled my bottle. It was getting warm and I was drinking more than usual. I took off my windbreaker. Then I headed out. On the Soquel-San Jose descent, I caught up to a big guy on the initial little climb, and then sat on his wheel. If I were riding alone, it would have taken a huge effort to match the speed we had when we were both coasting. Somewhere between Olive Springs and Laurel Glen, he stopped to regroup with someone, so I was solo again. Heading into Soquel, a group of 3 came past me and I jumped on to the train. However, somewhere near Soquel High, they stopped to wait for someone, so I would be solo again.

On Park, I got on the wheel of a couple of strong riders who were following the route by following the route markers on the road, though they didn't have any numbers, so they probably weren't registered riders. They were taking it pretty easy, so their pace was great for me. However, they stopped at the base of the Rio Del Mar climb. So I headed up solo, and would ride solo on Sumner, Seascape, San Andreas, all the way to the next rest stop.

It was sunny, but relatively cool by the coast, with the onshore breeze. I got a little more food and refilled my bottle. I was still drinking quite a bit. My hands were also getting sticky. Then, I headed out. Just as I got back to San Andreas, I caught up to a group of 3, so I sucked their wheels for quite a while, through the remainder of San Andreas, Thurwachter, McGowan, Trafton, Salinas, Elkhorn, and Strawberry. There were a few climbs on Strawberry, and I was getting trashed by the pace, so I eventually pulled out of the group. But then, one guy went off ahead, while the other 2 slowed, so I stayed on their wheels. However, those 2 soon stopped for something, so I would be solo again for a long while.

I got to the summit of Strawberry, where there were a number of riders standing around, descended, then headed down San Miguel Canyon with a slight tailwind, then up Moro and Tustin. At the Tustin wall, there were a few riders standing around at the bottom, and about 8 riders headed up, all walking their bikes. I downshifted to my lowest gear and cranked my way to the top. There were more riders standing around at the summit. I pushed on and descended to Echo Valley, then headed up another, easier, climb. There were still a couple of riders walking their bikes up that climb. Then came the steep climb up Maher. I didn't see any riders walking their bikes there, as I didn't see any other riders at all.

Another little climb, and I was at the lunch stop at Royal Oaks Park. I got a little more food and drink, and filled my bottle. After sitting for a little while, I wasn't hot at all, as there was a cool breeze. Then I headed out, taking Maher and Tarpey to bumpy San Miguel Canyon, then a nice tailwind on San Juan Rd, followed by crossing the county line on Murphy Crossing, and then a headwind on Hwy 129 and Carlton.

The final rest stop was at Gizdich Ranch. I had some really good lemonade and some food, and refilled my bottle. There was live music, with a trio with an accordian, a mandolin, I think, and something else. Then, it was back to the headwind on Carlton and Casserly. On the steep part of Mt Madonna, I went by a number of riders, but I didn't see anyone walking up. That would be the last steep climb. Hazel Dell would provide the last climb of the course. On Browns Valley, I caught up to a car with Arizona plates that was held up by some riders. Once the car got by the riders, it still went pretty slowly, so I stayed on its bumper for while, having to brake excessively for curves, and also getting held up because the car was getting held up by other riders. After the road straighted out, the car went off ahead.

Then, it was through Corralitos. A number of riders were standing around outside the Corralitos Market. I headed down Corralitos Rd, then it was back to the bumpy Freedom Blvd, Airport Blvd, Loma Prieta Ave, and Green Valley back to the finish at Pajaro Valley High. I got a little more food, including some strawberries and cream.

I headed home at a leisurely pace. There were bunches of riders still on the course going the opposite direction for the first 20 minutes or so. I felt less tired and stronger for the final couple of miles before getting back home.

0 comments: