Saturday, May 23, 2009

23 May 2009

Saturday harbor ride

It was cold and foggy, and drizzly. The drizzle cleared for a while. On Bonita, the road was wet and the drizzle was back for a while. I was at the back of the back, while, at the front, it split into at least 3 groups. On San Andreas, I was still at the back of the back, and getting wiped out just trying to hang on. After Manresa, I was off the back. I worked with another guy the rest of the way on San Andreas. The group just ahead was still visible ahead and seemed to bunch up and slow, but then, after Buena Vista, they were out of sight.

I headed up Beach solo. In Watsonville, a couple of riders went by and I latched on to get back to the group at the stoplights. A smallish group headed up 152 and Casserly. The pace ramped up a bit past the fire station and the initial part of Mt Madonna. It calmed down by the steep part, so I was able to stay with the group until the Hazel Dell climb, when I had to drop off. About half way up, one guy came around me, so I stuck to his wheel the rest of the way up and over the top. There was more drizzle on the descent and the road was wet. Another guy came around us on the descent, and pulled the rest of the way to Corralitos.

I went up Hames, joining a group of 4, then over Day Valley and Valencia to Aptos, and then headed back on Soquel. After Soquel, I was solo the rest of the way. It was still cold and overcast when I got home.

0 comments: