Sunday, June 24, 2007

24 June 2007

Jamison Creek


Lower Jamison Creek Rd
It was another great day for a long bike ride. I went on another short bike ride. It was sunny and warm, though a little cooler than the day before, and a little windier at times. Since I felt I could take on Jamison Creek, I decided to try it, and headed straight up Hwy 9 to Boulder Creek.

The little climbs between Felton and Boulder Creek, which I previously hardly noticed, slowed me considerably. It took my about 6 minutes longer than my typical time, and over 10 minutes longer than my previous time (with a group), to ride this stretch. I had the same experience with the little climbs on Hwy 236 between Boulder Creek and the bottom of Jamison Creek.

It was 12:17 when I started at the bottom of Jamison Creek. I took a picture of the lower part. I guess the lens was fogged up. At the bridge, I downshifted to 30/21. I knew I couldn't push as hard a gear as I could before. At the left switchback where the steep parts start, I downshifted to 30/25. After the right curve after the "LET THE PAIN BEGIN" painted on the road, just before the 1.66 sign, a cyclist in a yellow jersey overtook me and soon disappeared ahead. I managed the steep bit just before the 1.33 sign by standing, and barely made it, smelling skunk. Someone had stuck a dead skunk on the 1.33 sign. Somewhere around a quarter mile to the top, a descending cyclist zipped by. It was 12:55 when I made it to the top. My GPS data gave a time of 38:15.

After that was an enjoyable, though slower than usual, ride along Empire Grade back home on a warm summer day.

0 comments: