Sunday, July 06, 2008

6 July 2008

NorCal Tandem Rally and Wheelsucker Ride


Gazos Creek Beach
I started out a little before 8, which was probably way too early. On the other hand, the later I start, the more the headwind kicks in. I was going to join the group at Gazos Creek Rd, which would be about 25mi upwind for me, and about 25mi downwind for the group from Half Moon Bay, and they were starting about 9:15. I figured that if there were a strong wind, it could take me up to 2 hours, and the fastest of the group could take about an hour. I forgot to consider that the climbs after Tunitas Creek, San Gregorio Creek, and Pomponio Creek would slow them down.

I started in dense fog. Drops of water started gathering on my glasses. About halfway to Davenport, the fog had lifted, but it was still overcast, and I could still see clumps of fog covering bits of the hills to the right. Around Fambrini's, I saw a cyclist way ahead of me. When descending to the bridge over San Vicente Creek just before Davenport, I could see the cyclist near the top of the climb to Davenport. I was gaining while nearing Swanton Rd. The cyclist turned right at Swanton, and I could see for the first time that it was a tandem. How appropriate.

The green wind sock was varying between 45 and 60 degrees, so the headwind was not terribly strong. However, at Waddell, the wind strengthened noticeably. Also, after crossing the bridge over Waddell Creek, it was suddenly sunny. Soon, though, the hills to the right shaded out the sun, and it was still windy, and then I had to climb to the county line. After Año Nuevo, it started getting cloudy again, and, by Costanoa, it was completely overcast.

When I got to Gazos Creek, I had been riding an hour and a half, so it wasn't even 9:30 yet. I was way early, so I occupied myself by listening. There was only one moment of maybe 10 seconds or so in which I could not hear a motor vehicle coming or going. Birds were chirping and there was the sound of the waves in the distance. It was also windy and chilly.

At around 10:10, I decided to slowly head up the highway and turn around when I saw the group coming. I passed Pigeon Point without seeing anyone. About a mile and half past Pigeon Point, I saw some dark forms in the opposite shoulder coming over a rise in the distance. I turned around and started heading back. A minute later, a tandem and a wheelsucker came by, and then another tandem and a couple of wheelsuckers. This was the vanguard of the group. I latched on and sucked wheel back to Gazos Creek. This wheelsucking was going to be fun.

Regroup at Gazos Creek. Moments later, a third tandem with a couple of riders in tow went screaming by and missed the turn. They couldn't hear our shouts and the cell phone reception was almost nonexistent, so we couldn't call them. As it turned out, they went all the way to Año Nuevo before turning around, and rejoined us at Pescadero. After everyone had arrived and still not seeing the errant tandem returning, we headed inland on Gazos Creek and up and down the roller coaster part of Cloverdale. The smooth part of Cloverdale featured more fast tandem wheel sucking, leading to the stop at Pescadero.


Semirecumbent tandem at Pescadero
At Pescadero, a larger group doing the shorter, more relaxed-paced, version of the ride was already there. That group also had a bunch of tandems, including a semi-recumbent with the stoker in front. Since I hadn't started from Half Moon Bay, I didn't get to ride with any of them. Eventually, that group headed up Stage.

The rest of us headed up Pescadero Rd. As we headed inland, it became sunny and warm. There was more tandem wheel sucking for the first part, going by Loma Mar and Memorial Park. Then Haskins Hill split the group apart. The upper part of the climb was in the sun and I felt overdressed. Then came the descent. I soon came upon a slow moving truck towing a big horse trailer. Rather than risking trying to pass it, another guy and I followed it all the way down to the intersection with Alpine.


Hwy 84 and Pescadero Rd

Regroup at Hwy 84 and Pescadero Rd. After that, more wheelsucking down Hwy 84. Approaching San Gregorio, it started getting cloudier and there was a damp, chilly headwind. At San Gregorio, I stopped while most of the group continued. Sorry about checking up without warning, which is a lesson for me. After a little break, I headed back south on Hwy 1, where it was overcast and chilly. Supposedly, I had a tailwind, but I didn't really have much strength. By Costanoa, I was feeling the onset of a bonk. By Año Nuevo, it was partly sunny. On the little rise running up to the descent at the county line, I was crawling. I stopped at Waddell to eat some. There were lots and lots of kite surfers at Waddell and the sky was filled with kites.

There was a sandy tailwind, but I still crawled up the climb after the bridge. I finally started feeling better a little after the northern intersection with Swanton. The tailwind started kicking in too, and I hit 45mph heading down to Scott Creek. That was one of the rare times I found my 11t cog useful, but I still wouldn't miss it if it were gone. The tailwind was fabulous pushing me by Swanton Berry Farms. In the distance, the top of the structure at Davenport was wreathed with fog, but it cleared as I neared.

After Davenport, it was sunny and the tailwind was marvelous back to Santa Cruz. There was the final grind up Western Dr that I was almost too tired for, and then I was home.

0 comments: