Saturday, September 27, 2008

27 September 2008

Davenport and Swanton


Bonny Doon Elementary
It was sunny with a slight chill when I started off. The club ride started at natural bridges and there was group of runners there also. Team in Training, I think. I got signed in, and eventually we started towards Davenport.

Heading north on Hwy 1 soon led to heavy fog. I could barely tell that I was at the descent just before Davenport at San Vicente Creek. There were a couple of busloads of tourists at Davenport. German, I think. A guy motorpacing a scooter went by headed north, and then came back headed south just as we left.

On Swanton, the fog started clearing, and it was clear at the summit. I took off my windbreaker. It was chilly descending back to Hwy 1. On Hwy 1 back to Davenport, it was foggy again, but the fog was spottier.

Heading up Bonny Doon, it got sunnier. I stopped at Bonny Doon Elementary, and it was warm and sunny. An old guy in a really old VW stopped to ask for directions. He had a map printout and was really close to his destination. Ice Cream Grade had been resurfaced, though there were still patches of gravel.

Empire Grade had been resurfaced since last weekend. The gravelly mix was covered with a smoother surface. There was still gravel on the edges of the road though. Other than the foggy start, it was a beautiful summerlike early fall day.

0 comments: