Saturday, October 25, 2008

25 October 2008

Pescadero to Half Moon Bay


The Bike Hut
It was dark in the morning, so I didn't get started until 7:30. The club ride was scheduled to start from Pescadero at 9, but I knew it'd start later than that. I wouldn't be able to get there by 9.

When I got to Hwy 1, I hit a cold pocket and my hands started getting cold. Parts of Hwy 1 were really cold, and parts were quite warm. I didn't like the cold pockets, but they weren't too big so I got past them before too long. There was no wind, and the green wind sock near Waddell hung straight down. There were lots of coastal farms selling pumpkins.

I turned right onto Gazos Creek Rd, which had a new, gravelly, surface. It was cold. It was very cold and my hands were getting numb. It was cold all the way to Cloverdale. It warmed up a little on Cloverdale. I made it to the start and got signed in at 9:15.


The Bike Hut picnic area
The first part of the ride took Stage to San Gregorio, and stopped for a break. Then, up Stage and down Hwy 1, then right on Tunitas Creek. On Tunitas, we stopped at the Bike Hut, a very new development that was announced by email that was much forwarded only two days earlier. Currently, there is water and a picnic area with tables. There are more things planned for the future, such as organic energy bars for sale, and other things with cyclists passing by in mind.

Continuing, I went up Tunitas for a bit, then Lobitos Creek Rd, Verde Rd, Purisima Creek Rd, Higgins Canyon Rd, then into Half Moon Bay for lunch at the Moonside Bakery. I had a small, quick lunch, then headed back solo at around 12:30. I figured I'd get home by 3:30. At about 3 miles from home, near the entrance to Wilder Ranch, my rear tire blew with a loud pop. As I changed the tube, I realized that I hadn't eaten enough and the bonk that was lingering in the background hit me. 160 strokes on the frame pump resulted in a very soft rear tire, but it was enough to get me home.

0 comments: