Saturday, March 20, 2010

20 March 2010

Saturday harbor ride

It was clear and cold early in the morning, but it would get warmer. The last few months, it had been either much colder or raining, so I hadn't been riding until later, if at all. It was the start of spring, and the first Saturday of daylight savings time. There was good sized group. On San Andreas, I was on a strung out line trailing the pack a few times, but managed to catch back on each time. From Sunset Beach on, I was sitting in the pack. At one point between Manresa and Buena Vista, a white truck was blasting its horn continuously for 20-30 seconds.

There was a pretty big group of at least 20 heading up 152 and Casserly, and the riders up front pushed the pace a bit. On Casserly, a cop car going the opposite direction had its megaphone on with the cop telling the pack to ride single-file. The pace continued to be relatively hard on Mt Madonna, with riders dropping off way before the steep part, and I was a few hundred yards behind the lead group at the start of the steep part. I caught a couple of riders who dropped off the lead group by Hazel Dell, but then they stopped, so I continued solo up Hazel Dell, and down Browns Valley, when I caught up to another rider, and we traded pulls into Corralitos.

It had warmed up to a very nice day, and I headed back over Hames, Day Valley, Valencia, and Soquel.

0 comments: