Tuesday, May 18, 2010

18 May 2010

Viewing the Tour of California, Stage 3

I started into the headwind on Hwy 1, then up Bonny Doon Rd hours before the race would arrive. I headed up to Smith Grade, then back down a little ways to wait and watch around the steep section. Last year, the broom wagon was far behind the leaders, but this year, it was only 5-10 minutes behind on Bonny Doon, where Leipheimer, Zabriskie, and Rogers were the lead group. After the broom wagon and the rest of the caravan went by, I cut over to Empire Grade via Smith Grade. Other cyclists had the same idea, as many arrived via Smith after me. The first 3 groups in the race had had already gone by. Other small groups went by, followed by the peloton and the broom wagon and its caravan. I headed back, making good time by sucking the wheel of a stronger rider.

0 comments: