Saturday, August 07, 2004

My standard ride of 1993-1995

Don't remember some of the details. Make stuff up based on the map. I generally varied the details of the early and late parts of the route anyhow, while keeping the distant parts of the route more constant. Generally, rides started by going north or north-northeast, then turned west or west-southwest, crossing the Delaware on one of the bridges from Lambertville to Riegelsville, then heading south along the eastern edge of Pennsylvania and crossing back into New Jersey at Washington Crossing, then heading back.
Start north on Scotts Corner Road by Dey Road.
Turn left onto Friendship Rd.
Turn left onto New Rd.
Turn right onto Rte. 1.
Take the Major Rd jughandle and turn left to cross Rte. 1.
Continue on Sand Hills Rd.
Turn right on 27.
Turn left on Suydam Rd.
Turn right on 615.
Turn left on 514.
Turn right on 533.
Pass through Manville.
Turn right onto some street into Bound Brook.
Turn left onto some street headed north.
Cross 22 and climb Vosseller Ave.
Turn left on 616 into Martinsville.
Turn right and climb Mt Horeb Rd.
Roll into Liberty Corner and turn left onto Liberty Corner Rd.
Turn left onto 523 (don't know if it is called 523 at this point) into Far Hills.
The Far Hills New Jersey Transit station is on the right.
Pass through Bedminster, and cross 206.
The sign on the right side of the road says mile 29.
523 briefly joins 22 at Whitehouse before splitting off on a right turn.
Head through downtown Flemington, passing lots of antique shops, then out of Flemington onto a circle.
Occasionally took the wider 12 out of the circle towards Frenchtown, but usually continue along 523.
523 and 579 briefly join. The sign with both 523 south and 579 north is amusing.
579 splits off to the right looking pretty steep. I've never ridden that way.
Roll down into Stockton. That should be 29 miles since 523 and 206, according to the milage signs. I didn't get a bike computer until 1999. Dismount and cross the bridge.
I think a sign there said it's called Center Bridge because it's halfway between New Hope and Lumberville.
There was a burger stand on the right. I got a shake there once.
Turn left onto 32. Odd for a north-south road to have an even number.
I recall somewhere on 32 a sign saying Devil's Half Acre, but it was probably north of the bridge from Stockton. I don't see it on the map. I think the sign was hand-made.
Pass through arty New Hope, where there's generally heavy car traffic.
Turn left at Washington Crossing. The sign on the road to the right says it heads towards New Town.
Dismount and walk over the bridge.
Ride up out of the Delaware River valley on 546.
At Pennington, 546 briefly joins 31.
Once, at this place, I remember being crowded by a car so much that I stuck my hand on the rear passenger side window.
Swing around and turn right off of 31 onto 546 into Lawrenceville.
Turn left onto Lawrenceville Road.
Approaching Princeton, there are really fancy houses.
I imagine that the governer's mansion might be around here. (Jim Florio or Christine Todd Whitman at the time.)
Turn right onto Lover's Lane.
Turn left onto Mercer Road.
Turn right onto Springdale Road. I think there's an arch there.
Head into the Graduate College on the left and take a break. Rides from 1991-1993 would have started and ended here.
Head out on College Road.
Pass the McCarter Theater.
Enter the campus by the Spelman Apts. Cross the campus on campus paths.
Return to the streets by turning right onto Washington St and head downhill.
Once, on Washington, I was riding down, when the car behind me started having horn diarrhea. I turned around to see what the issue was. I think the driver's issue was that a bicyclist was on the road. When I turned back to see where I was going, the car ahead of me had stopped. I couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting it, but at least I had enough time to slow down a little. I was really pissed off at the driver behind me after that.
Continue down Washington over the bridge.
Once, near the Washington St bridge, there was some power line or phone line maintenance that I stopped for. One of the workers told me I'm supposed to ride on the sidewalk, I assume in general. I said no. He said I'll get hit. I was pissed off enough to go to the mayor's office and write a letter. I don't think anything ever came of that. In any case, the only time I've been hit since then was once, heading down the very same Washington St, when there was an oncoming driver signaling a left turn into the parking lot by the ricechex or biochem building, but apparently spacing out. So I kept going. Then, just as I was about the cross the entrance to the parking lot, a car behind the spaced out driver honked. The driver then accelerated towards the parking lot. I let out a yell and started turning right. My rear wheel got clipped but I didn't get hit hard enough to fall, as I recall. The rear wheel was warped after that. The driver gave me $49, but rear wheels at the shop on Nassau St were around $80. Actually, I got hit once more in 1999, hit by a van mirror while going down Graham Hill Road, which has no sidewalk.
Continue past Rte 1 to the Princeton Junction station.
Dismount and walk through the tunnel under the tracks at the station.
Ride left on Wallace Rd, which becomes Cranbury Rd.
Go through Grover's Mill, which, I think, is where the War of the Worlds radio broadcast was set.
Turn left onto Millstone.
Turn left onto Maple Ave.
Turn right onto Edgemere Ave.
Turn right onto Scudders Mill.
Turn left onto Scotts Corner.
I recall it taking about seven and a half to eight hours.
The bike was some kind of Nishiki road bike bought in the summer of 1988 in San Diego. I abandoned the bike at the Princeton Junction train station, after having locked it there one Saturday to go to New York in August or September 1995. When I returned, some vandal had filled the keyhole with Krazy Glue or something. It was the third time that my bike was vandalized there. The first time, my front tire and tube were gone, and my LOOK pedals were gone. The second time, the front tire and tube were gone again, but at least the cheap toe-clip pedals were still there. I reported each incident to the police. Nothing ever came of those reports. I did not get another bike until December 1995 or January 1996, after having moved to Austin, when I got a Trek road bike.

0 comments: