Saturday, August 07, 2004

My standard ride of 1996-1998

Generally, rides headed out of Austin on 2222, then returned to Austin on 2244.
Start west on W 38th from Speedway.
W 38th becomes W 35th.
Cross under (I think) Mopac.
Turn left onto Balcones.
Continue on Parkcrest.
Turn left onto 2222, which, if I recall correctly, has a short descent from here.
I recall 2222 climbing a little when the river is in view to the left.
Cross 360. For shorter rides, turn left onto 360.
Turn left onto 620.
There are signs for Hippie Hollow, known as a nudist area, somewhere along here.
Turn right onto Mansfield Park Dr. I preferred taking the small road over the top of the dam to staying on 620 and taking the bridge that's much lower. I think I stayed on 620 once when the road over the top of the dam was closed.
Rejoin 620 by turning right.
Turn left onto 72 at Bee Cave.
Turn left onto 2244.
Cross 360 into Westlake.
Continue through Rollingwood.
Cross under Mopac and turn left along the edge of Zilker Park.
Turn right onto Barton Springs.
On the left is Chuy's, the Tex-Mex place where Jenna and Barbara Bush were drinking underage in 2001.
Turn left onto the 1st St bridge.
Turn right onto W 1st St, and move to the left side of the 1-way street.
Turn left onto Lavaca.
The governer's mansion is somewhere to the right around W 8th St, I think. (George W. Bush at the time.)
Turn left onto MLK.
Turn right onto Whitis.
Go onto campus paths heading towards Speedway, turning left onto Speedway.
Take a break at the RLM building on 26th and Speedway.
Outside on the east side of the building were vending machines. In the summer, temperatures were generally in the high 90s. Usually buy and drink a 20 oz. soft drink there, walking the bridge over E 26th St.
Ride going right on Speedway.
Turn left onto E 31 St.
Turn right onto Speedway, which continues up to 38th.
I think it generally took about three and half hours.
The bike was a Trek road bike bought in Austin in December 1995 or January 1996. I sold that bike in November 1998, just before moving to Santa Cruz. In December 1998, I bought a Trek 4000 mountain bike in Santa Cruz, which I still ride.
Unlike in New Jersey, harassment from motorists was very rare in and around Austin.

0 comments: