Saturday, July 14, 2007

14 July 2007

Eureka Canyon


Branciforte
It was cool and foggy near the coast in the morning. I put on the windbreaker that I had just gotten and headed out to Capitola to join the club ride scheduled to start at 9. I had to stop for lots of red lights on Soquel Ave and Capitola Rd. I made it to the start of the ride and got signed in. There was a nice turnout for this ride, as usual for the Eureka Canyon ride.

Instead of the usual route through Capitola, then up to Park and McGregor, we headed up to Soquel, then by Cabrillo to Aptos Village, then took the usual Trout Gulch, Valencia, Cox, Day Valley route, then down Freedom to the next stop. It was sunny on Cox and Day Valley, so I unzipped my windbreaker, which turned into a parachute on the descents.

The faster group today was more antsy to get going, so we headed off soon after the slower riders arrived. In the past, we'd wait, then ride the lower part of Eureka Canyon at a more leisurely pace before pushing the pace somewhere between one third and halfway in. So, this time, the pace was faster at the lower part of Eureka Canyon. Then, about halfway in, a lone guy on a Specialized blew by. Then, the two fastest guys upped their pace and the group split up. I was in no shape to even try to keep up, so I was the fourth to the regroup at the top. The climb took 41:32, not too far from my previous and best time of 41:06. However, the previous time had leisurely riding at the bottom part, followed by hard riding to the top, so the faster pace today on the lower part masks the slower times that should have resulted from my loss of fitness. It was also getting quite warm, and the climb had me breathing pretty hard.

The regroup at the top was shorter than usual, and we headed off before any of the slower riders arrived. I had to fall back on the climbs on Highland and was sixth to the next stop at the Summit Market. I got a sandwich and a coke. I had just barely finished the sandwich when the faster group decided to get going. At least it would start with a long descent, and, in the pack, it would be a new personal best for me down Soquel-San Jose to Laurel Glen.

Then came the little climb up Laurel Glen, while still digesting the sandwich. At least everyone else was pretty tired too, so I was second to the top. From there, four guys would take Rodeo Gulch, while two others and I would head down Mountain View and Branciforte back to town.

0 comments: