Wednesday, July 04, 2007

4 July 2007

BikeForums 4th of July Ride


Hwy 9 and Skyline
I got an early start and headed out at 6:30. It was a little chilly as I headed up Hwy 9. Since hot weather was forecast in the mountains, I dressed lightly. And, above Boulder Creek, it warmed up and even seemed slightly humid. My leg felt noticeably better than it did on my last ride just three days ago. My pedal stroke was much more even, and I could stand on the pedals while coasting much more comfortably.

I got to the top of Hwy 9 and joined the BikeForums group when they arrived. After getting acquainted and some small talk, we headed out and stopped at the fire station. I topped off my water bottle. After the break, we continued on Skyline to the top of Page Mill, where everyone else decided to cut the ride short and turn right and head down. I continued on Skyline. At one point, although there was a solid double yellow stripe down the middle of the road, an oncoming car crossed over to pass another car. Fortunately, it completed the pass pretty far ahead of me, unlike the similar situation three days ago where the oncoming passing car was side-by-side with the car it was passing as they passed by me.

At Sky Londa, I turned left and headed down Hwy 84. The final few miles had the usual headwind, which was damp and chilly, and there were patches of fog around the hills near the coast. I stopped at San Gregorio and got a soda at the store and ate a snack. It was warm and sunny in front of the store, but, just a short ways over on Hwy 84, there was the chilly wind from the coast. It was a little before noon when I continued on 84 to Hwy 1, where I turned left.

When I got to the tracks at Davenport, I slowed down, and safely crossed square on.

I started feeling weak and hungry less than a mile from Santa Cruz, and had to slow down. The final climb up Western was a struggle.

0 comments: