Monday, February 16, 2009

16 February 2009

Watching the Tour of California, Stage 2


Chalk on the road
It was raining pretty hard at 8, but it lightened to occasional showers after 9, so I headed up the coast, then up Bonny Doon Rd to Smith Grade. At the lower parts of the climb, there were a few spectators already setting up. There were tents set up on the curves just after the bridge. Cars lined the road on the straight climb leading up to Smith. I continued up to Smith, then headed back down a little to watch. It was 10:30 when I arrived. It was cold and wet, with occasional showers. The first racer, Barredo, went by a bit after 1pm, with the lead group close behind.

At 1:30, I headed out on Smith. Leading up to the intersection with Empire Grade, there was a line of cars, most of which had passed me on Smith, waiting for the road to be reopened. I watched the trailing riders zip by with the small group of spectators there.


Racer on the climb
After the broom wagon went by, I headed back home. There were still spectators by the side of the road, but there were also a lot of cars going by me. In Santa Cruz, the sun was out.

0 comments: