Saturday, April 10, 2010

10 April 2010

Pescadero and Skyline

I headed up Hwy 1 to Pescadero. It was cool and overcast with a tailwind from the south. On Cloverdale, there was some drizzle. I got to Pescadero and signed into the club ride. This was going to be my longest ride of the year so far by a long shot. The ride started off going back on Cloverdale into the wind. The pace was higher than I liked, since I was riding a long way, but I stayed with it for the draft. Then, it was heading up Hwy 1 with a tailwind, and the pace was again higher than I liked. A detour on Bean Hollow and Pescadero, and then it was back to Hwy 1 to Hwy 84 and San Gregorio. From there, most of the group either returned to Pescadero via Stage or headed up Hwy 84, but 3 of us headed north up Stage to climb Tunitas. It was cold and overcast on Tunitas, and windy in places. About a mile before Star Hill, I was starting to bonk. Fortunately, from there on, the gradients were all very shallow. The route actually takes Star Hill and Swett to Skyline, but I continued on Tunitas, to avoid the super-steep part of Swett. At the top, I rested and ate a snack, then continued on the cold, windy, and drizzly in places to Sky Londa for lunch at Alice's Restaurant.

After lunch, I headed slowly up Skyline toward Hwy 9, still digesting my lunch. It was windy and cold with patches of drizzle. Finally, I got to Hwy 9 and coasted down. After Hwy 236, it was warmer, and sunny as often as not. There was still a little drizzle in Ben Lomond. I finally limped home, after riding more than twice as far as I had all year.

0 comments: