Saturday, July 31, 2010

31 July 2010

Santa Cruz Mountains Challenge

My hip hasn't fully recovered, but I was scheduled to help out at the second rest stop, so I started out early. It was very foggy and drizzly. I headed up Graham Hill to Felton, then Hwy 9 to Boulder Creek, and Hwy 236 to the second rest stop. The first riders came through a bit before half past 8. Most of the riders were through by 11. I headed back at 11:30.

I started up Jamison Creek at 11:36. At first, I didn't see many riders. However, once I got to the last mile, there were some riders and a bunch walking their bikes. As I reached the top, my clock changed from 12:01 to 12:02. The climb took about 25:30. I continued without stopping to the lunch stop, where it was warm and sunny, and stopped for a little while.

I continued down Empire Grade, Pine Flat, and the Bonny Doon loop, where it was slightly chilly in the shade. The route would continue down to the coast and back up Bonny Doon, but I turned left at Smith Grade and headed back to Empire Grade and back home.

0 comments: