Sunday, April 17, 2011

16 April 2011

Pescadero and Half Moon Bay

There was thick fog as I started north on Hwy 1. It became mostly sunny around Bonny Doon Rd. After Año Neuvo, there was a headwind, which slowed me down. I turned right at Gazos Creek for somewhat of a break from the wind, which returned on Cloverdale. At the northern part of Cloverdale, it became foggy again, and it was foggy in Pescadero. I signed into the ride and waited around for a while. Then, it was up Stage Rd for a stop in San Gregorio. Then, it was up the remainder of Stage Rd and down Hwy 1 to Tunitas Creek Rd, Lobitos Creek Rd, Verde Rd, Purissima Creek Rd, Higgins Creek Rd, and into Half Moon Bay for lunch at a sandwich place just before the lunch crowd showed up.

After lunch, I headed south on Hwy 1. Just south of Pescadero Rd, I stopped for about 5 minutes at red light that controlled a brief section where only one lane was open. By the county line, it became sunny. There were a handful of kite surfers at Waddell. There was a nice tailwind, and a speed sign said I was going around 27 mph just north of Davenport, even though I had ridden 40 miles more than I had in months so far, with more than 10 more miles to go. I was considerably slower over the last 5 miles or so of Hwy 1, and then turned left to head up the steep climb up Western.

0 comments: