Saturday, August 18, 2012

18 August 2012

Solo ride

It was warm and sunny. I headed north on Hwy 1, and it felt like I had a tailwind at first, but soon, it became a headwind, though it was not too bad. At the bottom of the gulch of San Vicente Creek just south of Davenport, the speed detector said I was going 30-31 mph. I continued to Swanton and continued on Swanton, where it was still a bit windy until the valley. After the climb, I continued down to Hwy 1, turned left and headed south with the tailwind. There were a number of cyclists on Hwy 1 both ways, but I saw none on Swanton. My top speed going down to Scott Creek was around 47 mph. Just north of Davenport, the speed detector said I was going 29 mph with the tailwind. At Bonny Doon Rd, I turned left and went by 3 cyclists who were going slowly as if they were waiting for something. I went by 2 more on the curvy part after the bridge and before the straight leading up to Smith Grade, another on Pine Flat just after the upper intersection Bonny Doon, another 2 a little before the Bosch Baha'i sign, and caught up to 1 more just as she stopped at the bus stop just before Empire Grade. I turned right and headed down Empire Grade. As I approached Heller, the light was green, but, to the left, I saw a car on Heller approaching the intersection, so I sprinted for it and beat the light.

0 comments: