Sunday, November 25, 2007

24 November 2007

San Juan Bautista

It was very cold in the morning. I had leg warmers on, but wished I had gloves, which I hadn't brought from home to Soquel, where I was starting from this time. At least it was slightly warmer in the sun. At the sunny parts of San Andreas, it warmed up a little so that my hands weren't freezing. I made my way to Elkhorn Rd and Kirby Park, the start of the ride.

The ride leaders arrived late, having camped out at Sunset Beach and were carrying loads of stuff on their touring bikes. I got signed in and got a route sheet. It was sunny and cool, but quite comfortable. We set out on Elkhorn, then up and over Hidden Valley, down Strawberry. I enjoyed a nice tailwind heading north on San Miguel Canyon, then it was gone on Tarpey and San Juan Rd. Then there was the climb up, then descent down Carpenteria for a regroup at Aromas.

After a break, we headed out on Carr and Anzar. Instead of following the route sheet to take San Juan Rd into San Juan Bautista, I took San Justo and then doubled back on Hwy 156 to San Juan Bautista for lunch. It was warm in the sun, and it was nice and sunny at midday.

After lunch, a few riders headed up Fremont Peak. I felt I had to get back, so I skipped that climb and headed back to Aromas, then towards Watsonville on San Juan, Murphy Crossing, and Hwy 129. Then, I took Carlton, Casserly, Mt Madonna, Hazel Dell, and Browns Valley to Corralitos. By then, it was overcast and getting chilly. I then took Hames, Day Valley, Valencia, Trout Gulch, and Soquel back to Soquel.

0 comments: