Sunday, April 06, 2008

6 April 2008

Santa Cruz Criterium

I tried entering a race for the first time and lasted 4 laps (out of 11) before getting pulled out. My lungs continued burning for the next 15 minutes. I was at the tail end of the pack for the first lap and the start of the 2nd, then off the back for 2 more before an official directed me off the course. Pulling me out was the right thing to do. I was so burnt from my efforts, I probably would have been a hazard had the pack lapped me.

For the rest of the race, there was one guy off the front early and stayed off the front to win. Probably one of the reasons the pace was pretty high from the outset. The chasing pack had split into two around the 7th or 8th lap. There were also riders off the back. On the 9th or 10th lap, there was also one rider who had fallen off of the lead chase group, but was still ahead of the 2nd group.

0 comments: