Monday, May 26, 2008

26 May 2008

Memorial day ride


Smith Grade
Since there was a chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday, I stayed near home and did the UCSC loop both days. Today, I joined the club ride up to Davenport and Swanton, then up Bonny Doon and Smith, then Empire Grade back down.

It was pretty much overcast in the morning with brief moments of sun. I headed down to Natural Bridges and got signed in. Going out to Davenport, there wasn't too much wind, and I got in a 3-man paceline. After a long break at Davenport, we continued to Swanton. There was kind of a headwind on parts of it, but the paceline provided some protection from it. The headwind was more noticeable in the half-mile leading up to the climb, though that was when I was pulling. Up and over the hill, then down the backside we went.

Then, we headed back down Hwy 1. It seemed like there was a bit of a tailwind to me. Next was the left turn at Bonny Doon and the climb ending with an extended 10% section. After a little break, we headed onto Smith Grade and its at times steep, at times narrow, and at times twisty descent that went on and on before climbing again. It was still overcast. A group of motorcycles went by. Then, some more descent, but not as steep, narrow or twisty as earlier, followed by the final climb the kicked up the gradient just before Empire Grade. A couple of cyclists whooped as they descended in the opposite direction.

Finally, we headed down Empire Grade. On the descent after the 8-14% grade sign, there was more of a headwind than usual. My top speed in that section was around 33mph, where I usually hit at least 40mph. After the UCSC west entrance, I rode in the draft of the other guy (the third guy must have been dropped on the climb just after Smith Grade), which enabled me to get a new personal best on the Empire Grade descent. After Western, I pulled around and sprinted home. It was finally sunny.

0 comments: