Saturday, May 03, 2008

3 May 2008

Solo ride


Summit Rd
I started later, since I was riding solo. It was sunny, but not as warm as it seemed from indoors, in the morning. I started off on some roads that I hadn't ridden in a long time. I took it somewhat easy going up Glen Canyon, but it had been so long since the last time, I had a new personal best by a minute and a half. From Scotts Valley, I took Bean Creek, Mountain Charlie, and Riva Ridge to Summit. I saw deer at a number a places: Bean Creek, Mountain Charlie, Skyline, and even Smith Grade.

Up in the mountains, it was warmer. I could see a thin fog over the lower coastal areas that made it cooler down there. There were also numerous little scurrying lizards or something on the road all over the place. I continued to Bear Creek. As I approached Skyline, a black limo went by. I assume that it was going to the wineries. It started left, then pulled off into the turnout. I turned right and headed along Skyline.

At Saratoga Gap, the hot dog stand was not there. I wasn't planning on stopping anyhow, and turned left and headed down Hwy 9, then Hwy 236 into Big Basin. I stopped at the headquarters to eat a snack and get a 7up at the store. After a break, I continued on Hwy 236. On the climb out, somewhere near the edge of the park, a mail truck went by me. Approaching Jamison, I was catching up to a mail truck as it stopped to deliver mail. The truck turned right at Jamison, and so did I.

It was 1:18 as I went by the mail truck. The truck was close behind me for a little while. But then, there were too many mailboxes to deliver to, so I never saw it again. It was getting warmer, and I considered taking off my windbreaker, but I didn't. There were a few bugs around my face, but it was not as bad as it could get in the summer. One bug flew into my ear, buzzing loudly, and startled me. At the 1.33 sign, there still was a strip of skunk tail, but no flag. At around 1/3 mile to the top, 4 or 5 descending cyclists went by. When I got to the top, it was 1:43, so my time was right around my personal best. At 25:28, it was my new best by 4 seconds.

On Empire Grade, I considered either going straight home, or going down Pine Flat, and taking Smith Grade back to Empire Grade. I was feeling pretty good, and it had been a very long time since the last time I took Smith, so I headed down Pine Flat and Bonny Doon. I thought about continuing down Bonny Doon all the way to Hwy 1, since it had been a long time since I last did that descent, but I had done that more often than Smith. So I took Smith Grade to Empire Grade, then back home.

0 comments: